Decking is one of the most sought-after features for homeowners, and it’s easy to see why. Not only does decking provide a clearly marked space for relaxing, entertaining, dining and playing, it also looks stunning.
You can opt for classic timber decking that requires regular maintenance but looks natural and smells delightful. It’s customizable and can be decay-resistant when made with pressure-treated wood. If you’re looking for the most affordable decking option, softwood might be your best bet.
Choose composite decking for a more environmentally friendly, low-maintenance decking option. Trex decking requires minimal upkeep, but it’s available in a range of colors, doesn’t have any bolts or screws visible and has a high-performance shell that resists daily damage, heat and cold. Trex decking lasts for much longer than traditional wood, so a Trex deck can be a great way to add value to your home.
Benefits and Uses
Decking is one of the most sought-after features for backyard makeovers because it has a ton of practical uses:
- A deck is an impressive space for working from home or hosting gatherings with family and friends.
- Decking can add curb appeal and value to your property.
- You can build a pool into the deck for exercising and having fun.
- A beautiful deck encourages everyone in the family to spend more time outdoors.
- A multilevel deck with an upstairs can provide privacy while giving you glorious views of the local landscape.
For some people, a basic deck is enough, and the minimal look can be perfect for certain homes. Other people prefer to spruce up their decking with additional features such as:
- Glass railings
- Mood lighting
- Deck board borders and patterns
- Outdoor kitchens
- Fire pits
- Built-in seats
- Shade and heat protection